Monday, June 10, 2013

The Greatest: Meryl Streep and Daniel Day Lewis



Regardless of their technique,extensive preparation, method or no method,clever career choices or anything rational,these two artists operate in the same space of pure magic. Their talent is overwhelming and their ability to take the public on a mystical journey through layers and layers of depth and meaning in the roles they play is unprecedented.

I simply don't know nor do I want to know who they are outside of great performances they give me.I don't care about their private personas,their looks,their lifestyle or anything else beyond the final scene of the movie they are in.

All I want is to be inside the different characters they so magically create and every time I watch them on the screen I simply forget even their names.

They are not Mrs Streep or Mr Day Lewis, they are Sophie or Mrs Kramer or Karen Blixen or Margaret Thatcher.They are Lincoln,Christy Brown,Johnny,Danny Flynn or Daniel Playview. And nobody else.

No ego interferes with their ability to be someone else.They are larger than life but they allow the characters they play to be are larger then themselves.

Among all the wonderful roles they have created, here are my favorites:

- Meryl Streep as Sarah in "The French Lieutenant's Woman" and sister Beauvier in "The Doubt"

- Daniel Day Lewis as Johnny in "My beautiful laundrette" and Newland Archer in "The Age of Innocence"

Wiser people than myself have analysed their greatness,thousands of pages of praises have already been written so this is only my humble contribution to their glory.

I would like to thank them for all the hours of bliss they have given me and  I hope to see them in many more riveting roles.




No comments:

Post a Comment